[Diy_efi] Welding on cars w/ ECU's??

Clint ccorbin at spinn.net
Fri Jan 31 22:02:15 GMT 2003

J,

Oxyacetylete IS welding if they are using high heat and welding rods.  The
major difference between welding and brazing (someone step in here if I
screw this up) is that in welding, you heat the parts being joined together
hot enough that they melt and flow together.  The rod adds filler material
to build up the join.  In brazing, only the brazing rod (a bronze
composition if my memory is working) actually melts.  The parts being
joined are very hot, but they do not melt.  The brazing rod flows around
the parts being joined, locks them together and fills the joint.

Due to these differences, a welded joint is stronger, but it is easier to
braze parts and you can join dissimilar parts with brazing much easier than
you can with welding.

The welding shop is using welding rods and they are fully welding your
exhaust system together.  If they aren't, I would have issues.

Clint