[Diy_efi] Welding on cars w/ ECU's??

Programmer nwester at eidnet.org
Fri Jan 31 22:02:06 GMT 2003

Easiest answer is that it probably started from the autobody industry. Hi
frequency machines "theoretically" could induce voltages into the PCM (some
are mounted lower left/right fender, others at the frame horn, etc...) and
fry the chips--I've never had or have seen this problem,  but you never know
when some "welder" is going to put the ground clamp onto a PCM / ECM case,
"someday". We do have a giant capacitor that we install across the battery
terminals when doing any weld repairs--just in case.

Lyndon ; )