[Diy_efi] VAF MAF

Alexei Pavlov alexis.pavlov at st.com
Fri Jul 11 08:55:16 GMT 2003

dave at ostat.com wrote:

> Thanks for the couple of links :)
>
> My situation is:
> The MAF I have is a "digital" one (VCO on the output signal.) I have no
> probs converting this back again, but I'm working on a budget and have
> reasonable electronics capability so I'd like to do what I can myself.
>
> The computer I'm adapting it to is analog *arg!* LE-Jetronic (aus
> version, no 02 sensor), similar to the us's LU Jetronic. Hence I have no
> tables to play with, just need to translate the mass air signal into the
> vane volumetric signal (near enough) to get a benefit out of the change.
>
> Any tips, or anyone have any ideas on the jetronic mods to help out?

I also think you should not bother yourself with the LE-Jetro. There
is nothing to really improve, you should replace it with a digital ECU.

You can either use megasquirt or the SparkDog ECU kit ($300).

If you don't want to build an ECU and as you are in Europe it should
not be so difficult to find an old 1.9L or 2L Alfa Romeo/Peugeot/Opel
with a M3.1, M1.3 or ML4.1 Motronic for 60euros. Choose one with Ox
sensor, you'll
never have EPA test troubles even without CAT.
Beware, if you want to make work a Motronic you can not use the
LE-Jetro MAF, you must have a Motronic one.

And don't use this GM's shit, let it for big US 50hp/L or diesel
engines.
You can find a good modern hot-film MAF in many cars, whatever the
brand is. Or if it's too expensive, there are many hot-wire MAFs
all around, I usually get them for 2 euros (in France).