[Diy_efi] Venturi effect crankcase breather

Shannen at grolen.com Shannen at grolen.com
Fri Jul 11 11:14:27 GMT 2003

Matt, you're right on the money here.  The Positive Crankcase
Ventilation system is designed to draw air through the crankcase during
high vacuum conditions by using engine vacuum sourced after the throttle
plates.  The PCV valve will seal as crankcase when the crankcase
pressure increases above manifold pressure, forcing crankcase vapors out
the breather tube.  The breather tube is generally connected on the
atmosphere side of the throttle plate.  The fact that crankcase "waste"
vapors are drawn into the manifold rather than released to atmosphere is
what caused many mechanics and pundits to fear reduced engine life when
the PCV system was introduced in the 60's.

The total vacuum in the crankcase is system dependent, however.  Many
stock GM vehicles show little to no vacuum as the breather side of the
PCV system offers little restriction to fresh air.  Look for a post in
the archives titled "wicked squeel" or somesuch to see what happens to a
GM engine when a substantial vacuum is introduced in a tpi equipped v8.

Shannen