[Diy_efi] 406 fuel injected small block

Doug Dayson djdayson at attbi.com
Sun Jun 1 16:16:42 GMT 2003

An aftermarket runner and manifold Tuned Port will be all finished by 4K RPM
on a 406ci (stock TPI even earlier than that), so it would only be effective
for towing , or rock crawling etc. The TPI was originally designed for the
5L V8, as in stock form is already marginal on the 5.7L engines, and out of
it's league on a 6.8L.

If you are building a performance motor that will spin to roughly 6K RPM or
so, then consider the TPIS Mini Ram, Holley Stealth Ram, or a converted
Single Plane from any number of vendors (or DIY).

The other option is the Super Ram, which will do well to about 5000K RPM on
a 406ci, maybe a bit better if ported, and would be a nice compromise
between the two for a heavy chassis.

We'd really need to know the weight of the car, it's gearing and rear tire
size, and intended usage to make a complete recommendation etc...

Doug