[Diy_efi] Pressure readings perpendicular to airflow

Grant Beaty gbeaty at ufl.edu
Tue Jun 3 06:43:08 GMT 2003

I've seem two books (Maximum Boost and one other) recommend testing for
things like pressure drop, exhaust backpressure, etc. by just connecting the
sensor to a barb that rests on the pipe. I've done this with intercooler
pressure drop, and turbine inlet and outlet pressures.

But doesn't bernoulli's law say that vacuum should be created in these
circumstances? Wouldn't this effect the readings? Seems odd if it would,
since this is how everyone does it AFAIK.

I don't remember feeling any vacuum on the exhaust backpressure gauge when I
routed it to the cabin and put my finger over it...

Thanks for any help,
Grant Beaty