[Diy_efi] MAF Question

va3xcd at sympatico.ca va3xcd at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 6 17:09:48 GMT 2003

Hi Dan,

Well....that about sums it up for me. Thanks greatly for
the detailed reply. Not sure I understand some of the
nomebclature (hi slope, low slope etc) but at least I
understand now the way the system works.

I guess in a nutshell, its not something I want to touch
at the moment...as the car is a daily driver.

>On some motors this works OK.
>On my 1994 Mustang GT it did not work OK.

That is what I would be worried about.....

>My solution was to get an EEC Tuner.  This device allows you to tell the

So basically what this does is allow you to replace the stock
MAF transfer function with a custom one for the MAF you are
installing, and also a new injector map. I was not even aware
this was possible with a stock ECU.....or is all this done
with an aftermarket ECU or a black box that works in tandem
with the stock unit?

>In your case I would first decide if you really need to add a bigger MAF &
>injectors.

At this point I would say no with thanks to the explanation you gave.
I think I am into the noisy muffler :)

Can I increase the diameter of the throttle body though, and not run into
problems with mappings? All I am doing by that it seems is allowing a
greater amount of already mapped intake air into the manifold, and since
that air has already been metered, the ECU should indicate the correct
injector pulse.......or am I way off in left field here?

>If you are adding more power than your current MAF/injectors can handle
>(turbo or supercharger)

This is something I have been considering. The trouble I am having, is
that there is not a whole lot of aftermarket support for the ZX2. There
is lots for the Focus, but even though they both share a 2.0L Zetec, the
differences between the two are numerous and sometimes very stark.
There are all kinds of neat things for the Focus ( HP intake manifold,
supercharger kits and turbo kits, and lots of SVT parts) that wont
go anywhere near the ZX2 without a large amount of modification.

>It is a lot of work and takes lots of time to re-tune these things even with
>the EEc Tuner (or Tweecer - another 'tuner).

Thats why I am glad I ran into the list....just saved me a lot of
hassle and headache, but has me thinking now I need to have
another car so I can play with this one. :)

Thanks Dan for taking the time to explain it all to me.....
It seems to make sense.....at least there is nothing jumping
out at me that dosent jive anyway.

Regards,
Bill