[Diy_efi] And for the bottom end of the market....

peterw peterw at waybeat.com.au
Sat Jun 14 10:11:44 GMT 2003

> For a single-cylinder, manifold pressure won't even
> necessarily be useful for controlling the fuel
> pressure regulator.

Bearing in mind that I am new at this EFI game:-

Why would this be so ? For a small single cylinder engine couldn't you just
have a constant fuel pressure ?

For a CV carb isn't the amount of fuel delivered proportional to the venturi
pressure(ignore idle circuit ). i.e as throttle butterfly opens air velocity
through venturi increases, pressure on top of CV piston drops, CV piston
rises.

So, couldn't you just monitor venturi pressure and inject fuel
accordingly(lookup table). I realise that air density, amongst other things
has, an effect but if you wanted a simple "electronic carburator" why would
this not work ?

My experience(i.e riding 'em) with EFI bikes is that most of 'em don't do
EFI very well hence the plethora of aftermarket ECU's to allow remapping. I
think this is so 'cause bikes don't seem to use the number of sensors that
cars do and are therefore not very adaptive.

Peter