[Diy_efi] ION sensing question

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 14 06:49:00 GMT 2003

--- peterw <peterw at waybeat.com.au> wrote:

> As I understand it ION sensing ignition systems can
> be used to determine, combustion pressure, knock,
> misfire etc and these ignition systems are used
> to adjust advance on a cycle by cycle basis.

Ion sensing offers a wide range of data.  How much is
extracted and used depends on the designer, the
programming, and the hardware.  Getting all that info
from an ion sensing signal requires some significant
computing horsepower.

> Does anyone know if ION sensing can be used to
> determine mixture?

Yes, it can, although like almost everything else
measured by ion sensing, it does it through inference,
more or less.

> If so anyone point me to a relevant web link or
> other literature. My attempsts a web serach turned
> up lots of references to either ignition systems or
> other chemical exotica. Couldn't find any refrence
> to fuel mixture determination.

Right off, I don't recall where I read most of my
material about ion sensing, but I have had a Detroit
engine management engineer confirm for me that you can
determine mixture by observing changes in the sensing
current that don't follow a pattern that is associated
with spark timing or detonation  issues, but still
differs from the range expected for stoich.

If you can't find anything, drop me a line and I'll
see if I can pry more out of him for you.

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |