[Diy_efi] Measuring air and fuel flow

Mauricio raub at kudria.com
Sat Jun 14 16:51:09 GMT 2003

	I am trying to figure out the air/fuel ratio in a turbodiesel
so I can calculate how much fuel I will need if I increase the
compressor in my turbine.  What would be the best/cheapest way to do
so?  I plan on reading it using some kind of sensor (for air and
fuel)  into a PIC computer and then download it afterwards. Here are
some possibilities I thought about:

1) Air
o Using a hotwire airflow sensor.  I have at home the one of a 90
Mustang LX (the engine is apart so it is not needing it for now ;),
but do not know its pinout and signal information.  Another option is
to go junkyard shopping for a Bosch hotwire since *hopefully* there
may be more info on it.  Sensor would be somewhere between the
airfilter and the turbo.

o Use a MAP sensor upstream of the turbo to measure the static
pressure and then estimate airflow from there.  A proper setup, I
assume, would also have to measure the air temperature after the
airfilter so I can get density.

2) Fuel
I was told there are in the boat industry some kind of setup you can
measure the fuel flow.  Does anyone know how can I do that?

3) Throttle position
What I would be measuring here is nothing but the pedal position
somewhere, so I can say if I am at idle, partial, or full throttle,
and correlate that to the rest of the data.  Thsi should not pose a
problem.

	Suggestions are always welcome. =)