[Diy_efi] Electronic expertise requested

Phil Hunter diy-efi-d at t-n-e.com
Fri Jun 20 17:47:36 GMT 2003

> Phil,
>
> You're no fun!
Yep, dats me, Ol' StickInTheMud hisself.

Okay, so you know a heck of a LOT more than you let on, and I'm
sure you've forgotten more than I've ever known about aircraft
engines, but I don't see why you'd want to take something that
is basically designed for emissions control, and try to adapt it
to an environment of widely varying A/F mixtures, MAP's, IAT's,
etc.

Personally I'd focus on solving the problem(s) so all owners of
that aircraft could benefit. I know the ignition is shielded, but
might there be enough leakage that you could use a timing light
clamp (or a lot of wraps of wire) fed directly into a portable
o'scope to see if you're getting a misfire? What about putting a
"sugar cube" or "lipstick" CCD camera under the cowling somewhere
to look for errant sparks? Any place to monitor fuel pressure? Can
you "sacrifice" the exhaust manifold(s) and a few NB O2 sensors to
get an idea of whether the mixture is going too rich or too lean?
I know you can get spark plugs modified w/ tiny pressure sensors,
might be a more practical if not $pendy alternative to Ion Sensing.
Can you get Cessna or Lycoming to pay for any of that?

Considering that this is a public, archived email list, for
liability reasons that's all I'm willing to say here, but I may
send some more thunks privately.

As an aside, last night I attended a job related presentation about
"how my experience as a private pilot made me a better systems
administrator" One of the key points was "beware of automation" and
unintended consequences, citing Bonanza's automatic landing gear as
an example.

rgds,
Ol' StickInTheMud
(digest)