[Diy_efi] 2002 Nissan Maxima ECU problem

Glen Binegar glenbinegar at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 20 18:00:16 GMT 2003

 Hi There,
     I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima that I purchased as a donor for a track car
 I am building.  The car was a theft recovery, and came without an ECU.  I
 purchased a remanufactured ECU, but couldn't start the car.  No spark and
 probably no gas from the injectors.  Starter spins the motor fine, but no
 spark at the plugs and no aroma of gas from the exhaust pipe after a minute
 and a half spinning (15 second intervals 6 in five minutes).  I now know
 that replacing the ECU requires the ECU IMMU and chip key to be initialized
 at the dealer.  well I tried that, no luck, so I bought a new key and tried
 again same result.  Undaunted, I have removed the engine / transmission and
 wiring harness, found one broken wire in the harness.  I am not going to
 reinstall the engine and return to the dealer.  Does any one know ho\w to
 defeat the vehicle immobilization feature of this ECU.  I am considering
 changing over to a 1996 Nissan ECU, but that involves some engine
 modifications additional costs and loss of some engine control features
 (variable valve timing and variable intake tract controls).  Any help would
 be appreciated.   G;-)