[Diy_efi] long term fuel trim

Tim Marsteiner tmarstei at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 27 20:27:06 GMT 2003

This is on an Excelsior Henderson Super X.

There is no manifold pressure sensor so I assume it is
an alpha-N only system.

I just got the bike and started learning about this
stuff. So I apologize if these are stupid questions. I
did a search on long term fuel trim and didn't come up
with much.

By open loop I mean any time the ecu is not looking at
the O2 sensor. I would assume during closed loop the
ecu keeps track of how it modifies the injector pulse
width over time as compared to some default
value(factory). Then in open loop it uses this value
to tweek the pulse width??. Is this what long term
fuel trim is? This would make sense and it would allow
the ecu to account for say a freeing flowing exhaust
and/or big air kit without a new download.

I haven't purchased the Tuneboy/TuneEdit software yet
because it is $450. I want to understand this stuff a
little more before I spend that much. The tuneboy has
a "O2 related fuel trim" value which can be monitored.

Thanks,
Tim