[Diy_efi] new guy

Alexei Pavlov alexis.pavlov at st.com
Thu Mar 6 14:20:24 GMT 2003

wagen at mts.net wrote:

> > Welcome Rich,
> >
> > I think there are many electronic/computer engineers here (like me) who
> > are motoring hobbyists.
> >
> > May be you don't need to learn electronic if you use market EFI systems.
> > You would need understanding of how engines work.
>
> Not to worry, the mechanical aspect of ICE's is not a problem for me. ...
> and nah, I don't want to use the EFI systems on the market, that's why i
> joined the list. I would really like to learn about how to design an EFI
> system because this is the direction I want to go for my career as an
> engineer. I am also about to go into a masters program, and I am thinking
> about this for a thesis project.

The difficulty is that any microcomputer system aimed at engine
management
has to talk to sensors and activators. And circuit design is mainly
based
on the practice (and thus time), even if some amount of theory is
required. You can not learn the practice in books.
The better way is probably to start building already existing designs,
like megasquirt
www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

The other solution is to wait until the
homepages.ihug.com.au/~jharm/kit.htm
kit becomes available, if the software is open source.
For the moment no precisions have been disclosed about the
implementation,
but the ECU seems to be an interesting design as it can manage fuel and
ignition.