[Diy_efi] Peak cylinder pressure timing

Hugh Keir hugh at sol.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 20:15:02 GMT 2003

Phil wrote,

The Holy grail of all closed loop spark systems is a strain gauge on the
gearbox input shaft with a transmitter.

How would such a strain gauge help with ignition timing throughout the rev
range, going up and down hills, hot day / cold day when the engine consumes
less/more oxygen, 1st gear / 6th gear, etc, etc.

My feeling is that if it is possible to resolve cylinder pressure with
respect to crank position to output the area under the curve, it would be a
great start.

If it were possible to then go on to produce such a system as Bernd
describes where the electronics optimised the best cam, fuel and ignition
you would have a pretty spectacular ECU.

Step 1 may just be to try to build a system to see what can be done.

My initial concern was that there was a lack of stable piezo material
available, but the piezo manufacturer I spoke to can offer a material that
has a good response and a working temperature up to 250°C with an absolute
maximum for short periods of 360°C.

Hugh