[Diy_efi] P/H hammer driver circuits

Carter Shore clshore at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 9 14:38:53 GMT 2003

Well,
I can at least contribute the name and model of a
printer that implemented a capacitive voltage doubler
to drive the printhead. Maybe someone knows or can
find a schematic (attn Swedish correspondents!):

DataSaab/Ericsson 5808-x document printer

It was used in banking/financial applications.

The circuit charged a cap, then switched +V and the
cap is series to the coil at firing time. It was an
all analog setup that used an extra power transistor,
a couple of diodes, the cap, and few other RC
components, triggered by TTL logic signal.

Delivering a slug of current from a +24V source at
turn on time would sure get the ole' pintle off it's
seat quickly.

Or, you could build an auxillary +24V (or 36V,
etc)dedicated source with a DC/DC converter, and then
switch the Peak pulse from it, the Hold from +12V.

Carter