[Diy_efi] P/H hammer driver circuits

Mark Bowers & Family mbalntel at cfw.com
Mon Mar 10 00:29:03 GMT 2003

> >Delivering a slug of current from a +24V source at
> >turn on time would sure get the ole' pintle off it's
> >seat quickly.
> >
> >Or, you could build an auxillary +24V (or 36V,
> >etc)dedicated source with a DC/DC converter, and then
> >switch the Peak pulse from it, the Hold from +12V.
> >
> >Carter
>
> This is along the lines of what Bob described to me a few years
ago--except
> that he said the peak source was more like 230 Vdc  in the latest
> generation, with the application time for the "peak" down into the u-sec
> range !!
>
> I would guess the limitation is mechanical--we wouldn't want the pintle to
> come flying out the other end of the injector, would we ?? :-)

 To all,

I would be happy to help design something here for all to practice their
flamethrowing & sharpshooting. Seriously, I was doodling something on paper
2 days ago along the lines for the voltage doubling "charge dumper" outlined
above, but the DC-DC converter then +12V hold sounds better. And maybe, a
lover voltage hold would be even better, as it would reduce the power
dissiapted everywhere in the hold state.

I would ask any comments for specs for this kind of beast, like:
1) Drive source; the COMS level drive suggested is one possibility
2) What injector types to drive: just low Z or does there need to be a high
Z version too?
3) Any adjustability desired for peak current levels or hold current levels?
If so, is there a common external bus structure in use for common EFI
systems, or are they all proprietary?
4) Any rise or opening time that is critical or desired?? What are the max
hold times anticipated in various applications.

If someone else has the lead, I'd be glad to contribute. I ain't in this for
glory, just to learn and have fun re-using my rusting design skills. (Sales
is fun but you can sure become a technical zombie after a while!) (And if I
am not on-line everyday, it's cuz I travel for biz about every week. So,
this won't be fast.)

Regards,
Mark B.