[Diy_efi] Re: peak-and-hold injector driver ic's

Klaus Allmendinger klaus at innovate-tech.com
Mon Mar 10 23:57:49 GMT 2003

Hi Marcell,

1. The 40106 runs at 5V, not 14V, but according to specs it can run as high
as 18V Vcc (MC14106B).
BTW, a jumper over C1 would make it work for saturation type injectors.

2. The emitter follower design does work. I use it on a PWM controlled fan
motor in my car. The motor (max 10A) is switched at 20kHz with a logic
level MosFet. The npn/pnp transistors are simple 2N3904/2N3906.

3. The problem with PWM limited current is the same as in all designs that
don't have a serial resistor for the flyback dissipation: The switchoff
behaviour is slow because it takes time for the stored energy to dissipate
with a small resistance. It is actually worse because the max current
during the ON time (at the trailing edge of the last PWM pulse) is higher
than the averaged hold current. If you put a resistor in series with the
shottky in your design you can improve the switchoff time at the cost of
lower efficiency, higher voltage load in the Mosfet and faster required PWM
frequency. Also the current sense resistor of 0.47Ohm increases the turn-on
time of the injector. The voltage across Rcurrent is essentially subtracted
from the available voltage to bring the current up to snuff (I = U*t/L).
(There just ain't no such thing as a free lunch) ;-).

Regards,
Klaus