[Diy_efi] new EFI controller - CPU selection

Sid.Young at qml.com.au Sid.Young at qml.com.au
Tue Mar 11 05:25:53 GMT 2003

Howdy all,

A 32 bit CPU is most likely an overkill. Most 8 bit CPU's will spend most of
their time being idle waiting for a trigger pulse to start doing anything.

As for controlling blinkers and doors or ABS, each would have there own
sub-systems and hence a single CPU is not realistic. My basic motto after
22years of embedded systems design is "Many processors make light work".

Another thing to think about is, if you are doing embedded control and the
CPU does not even have flash, then it must be pretty crappy, even simple 8
bit CPU's like the z8 have 64K flash, or the 68HC908GP32 have 32K flash.
Even the 8 pin 68HC908QT4 has 4k flash.

Sid