[Diy_efi] Re: Minimalist micro based EFI ?

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Tue Mar 11 13:49:42 GMT 2003

mmmm, I wondering now that 10 bits is just not enough,

The MAF signal is log with a DC offset of around 1.5v (which
varies a little +-10% on mine). So from 1.5 to 5v we have
a log output, we could effectively having a doubling of
air flow at the last 10% of scale from say 4.5v to 5v,
hence I'd think 12 bits would be more appropriate with
a DC offset subtraction and amp prior to the ADC input.

In respect of noise, most ADC's are quite quick, so getting
lots of samples and doing a simple binary weighted averaging
to get rid of some noise would be fairly straightforward,
if the ECU MAF signal it used for calculations was 200mS
after the real unfiltered MAF as raw sample then would there
be much of an issue in cruise or even WOT operation, especially
given we'd have a hardware circuit to add pulses to the injectors
on the same basis as the old accelerator pump for carbies...
In any case this 'delay' might just provide the storage type
cat with its lean-rich cycle and help its operation during
throttle changes ;)

rgds

mike