[Diy_efi] new EFI controller

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 11 14:02:43 GMT 2003

At 6:48 PM 3/11/03, Bevan Weiss wrote:
>I don't think I'd want to run a full fledged linux kernel on it, especially
>with the added execution cost of real time scheduling.
>I agree that the cost of the MPC565 isn't ideal, especially in low volumes.
>However the level on integration removes any extra costs that would
>otherwise be required.  All that's really left for the hardware design is
>connecting up some filtering components and some protection for the inputs.
>Outputs just require the driver hardware to be sorted, which shouldn't cost
>much.  It should easily come in under $500 for the entire unit.

Little question that the 565/6 will DO the job, and do it well. Price isn't
ideal, but within reason, and, as Bevan says, because of the level of
integration, there are cost savings in other areas. Not to mention that the
integration produces reliability gains for a number of reasons.

IF we could quit quibbling over which processor might cost $5 less and get
some hardware under way, then we might be able to get after the REAL
problem, which, in my mind, is HOW to set about operating a capable,
REASONABLY priced, controller in ways which might IMPROVE engine
performance significantly above what an oem controller is capable of !

There ARE controllers out there, commercially available (sort of), which
will do this, but they START at about $15 to $20K !!!

Greg