[Diy_efi] Re: Minimalist micro based EFI ?

Grant Beaty gbeaty at ufl.edu
Tue Mar 11 15:14:55 GMT 2003

> For a minimalist system 8 bits is enough until you are running more than
14PSI boost.

14 psi is a little too minimalist for a lot of people ;)

Mike has a point with the MAF voltage. My airflow doubles from 4v to 5v. The
AVR's 10-bit ADC produces (1024 * V_in) / Reference_voltage. So its got 204
points from 4v to 5v, that seems like it would be suffecient. The last bit
would go from 49.17 to 49.32 lbs/min.

If you _really_ wanted to be accurate, couldn't you use a mux to swap the
reference voltage at a certain point?

Seems silly to skimp on the processor though. My AVR Mega128 was a whopping
$20, insignificant in the grand sceme of things.

Do ECUs do a frequency -> digital conversion in hardware or software?

Grant