[Diy_efi] timeframe to get equal fuel distribution

Bevan Weiss kaizen__ at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 16 05:41:17 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Wade" <espresso_doppio at yahoo.com>
To: "List for general do-it-yourself EFI talk" <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2003 5:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] timeframe to get equal fuel distribution

> --- Bevan Weiss <kaizen__ at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Which cars are using GDI (gasoline direct
> > injection)??
>
> http://alflash.narod.ru/D4.htm
>
> Nissan, Mitsubishi, Toyota (Denso system).
> Supposedly, Mitsu plans on replacing all port
> injection with GDI eventually.
>
> Apparently Volvo had a car with a Mitsu GDI.
>
> Renault has used the Siemens/Bosch system in some
> Meganes.
>
> Delphi has a system, but I can't find whose cars it is
> used in.
>
> > (also what's the cost for the injectors?)
>
> That I can't help you with.  Are they even available
> outside of OE Tier 1 and 2 levels?  GDI doesn't seem
> to serve a lot of purpose without very specific ECU
> power, software, combustion chamber design, etc...  It
> doesn't appear that it would be a lot of use to a
> hobbyist.  Reading up on the Bosch/Siemens system,
> there's not even anything you could modify witout
> making a LOT of things worse.

It would also seem that for some reason turbo engines aren't suited to GDI.
Or at least from the statistics of current manufacturer releases.  It would
seem that all the economy cars are going to GDI, and many of the upmarket
models (ie lexus etc).  However any sport performance cars seem to not
include GDI in the range...

I'd have thought that it'd be something that you'd want to put on everything
that you possibly could.  Although maybe the higher intake pressures with
turbo engines makes it inpractical.