[Diy_efi] timeframe to get equal fuel distribution

Toyota Supra turbosupramk3 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 16 06:36:09 GMT 2003

From: Adam Wade <espresso_doppio at yahoo.com>
>To: List for general do-it-yourself EFI talk <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
>Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] timeframe to get equal fuel distribution
>Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 22:06:11 -0800 (PST)
>
>--- Toyota Supra <turbosupramk3 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > cylinder pressures and temps are the first things
> > that come to mind, which might make it a couple of
> > years back from being in f/i cars.
>
>GDI?  Been in production cars since 1998.

someone asked why it has not been incorporated into performance/turbocharged
vehicles, my response was to that ... i know GDI is in production vehicles

> > another thing to consider is that a car with f/i has
> > a completely different pattern in which air enters
> > the intake manifold runners and chambers, so the
> > extra area/time (in reference to it spraying in the
> > bottom of the intake manifold vs directly into the
> > cylinder) might be needed for atomization ???
>
>I'm not following you.
>
>To create a high-velocity airflow into the combustion
>chamber that causes the necessary airflow to move the
>rich mixture to the spark plug at the right moment in
>stratified charge, there is a splitter that closes off
>the bottom half of the intake runner inside the head
>to direct the higher-velocity air.  This opens up for
>full runner use when used in homogeneous mode.
>
>The atomization is a function of injector design and
>fuel pressure more than anything else.  There is a
>very limited amount of time for vaporization during
>stratified charge running.

the data i have seen shows that air actually swirls/tumbles inside of the
runner, and into the cylinder, in a performance/turbocharged vehicle. the
standard GDI design might not atomize that tumbling air properly or as well.
obvioulsy this is not of concern in most, if not all, normally aspirated
vehicles.

i'm not here to argue with you, i am just speculating on why the current GDI
design is not used on performance/turbocharged vehicles

-j