[Diy_efi] timeframe to get equal fuel distribution

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 19:24:46 GMT 2003

--- Alexei Pavlov <alexis.pavlov at st.com> wrote:

> I would think there is less interest for GDI
> turbocharging because of smaller compression rate,
> as lean mode is based on a high CR.

Well, just like anything else, turbocharging has
trade-offs.  Since the main point of GDI seems to be
emissions and efficiency, you'd want a LOT of
turbocharging for better efficiency (higher
pre-ignition pressure in the combustion chamber), and
less turbocharging for emissions control (to keep NOx
at somewhat lower levels).

At this point, GDI still seems to be a technology that
is in development, and is still expensive and being
tinkered with.  I honestly believe we will see
turbocharging, after GDI has become something that is
well-understood and well-developed by the hardware
people, and when the need arises for the increase in
efficiency that turbocharging would gain.

As far as doing it for performance reasons, I think
that would be largely secondary.  Think of it in terms
of the diesel world.

> Then, when Bosch claims something for future
> engines, they might be also thinking of VVT that
> would allow using of high CR with (low pressure)
> turbocharging (Miller cycle, etc).

They did discuss both of those things as not only ways
of changing efficiency on conventional engines, but
also as things with application for future efficiency
improvements with GDI.

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |