[Diy_efi] timeframe to get equal fuel distribution

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 19:45:49 GMT 2003

--- bill.shurvinton at nokia.com wrote:

> Don't forget that Audi won SOOO many races with
> their Turbo GDI car ( including consecutive 1,2,3 at
> Le Mans) that they got bored and gave up.

*laughs*  Yes...  Although even they are first to
admit that the thing operates in homogeneous mode all
the time, and therefore does not require nearly as
complex a control system, or intake and combustion
chamber design, as a stratified-charge system does.
It's just increasing atomization and preventing losing
fuel on exhaust blowdown.  Now, I know that's a bit of
an oversimplification, but you can design a
conventional port injection engine and convert it to
"power" GDI without any basic design mods (or
compromises).  In fact, you can further optimize the
intake ports for chamber filling, since you no longer
have to worry at all about swirl before the combusion
chamber, or port velocity (at least insifar as it is
needed to carry fuel into the cylinder).

> More power, more fuel efficient, and horribly
> reliable, bar the unfortunate testing accident.
> However to win at every race you enter over a 12
> month period is very impressive, even when you do
> account for the cubic$$$ they threw at it.

Well, consider it for what it is...  A
lower-technology, lower-complexity showcase for
technology they are going to introduce on passenger
cars.

It makes a great cardboard cutout for advertising
purposes, and I'm sure they used it as a testbed for
learning more details about the behaviors of such systems.

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |