[Diy_efi] timeframe to get equal fuel distribution

Bevan Weiss kaizen__ at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 19 02:44:36 GMT 2003

> Nit-Pick: idle is NOT no-load. Idle may require as much power as
> cruising at 60kmh.

This I don't follow...
So what you're saying is the engine becomes easier to turn over as the load
applied to the engine increases??
Placing gears, and hence the tires into rotational contact with the engine
means that the engine is experiencing a 'load'.  Hence it is no longer a
no-load situation.

Whatever the engine must move at idle (it's own rotational inertia) must be
less than what the engine must move when in gear (it's own rotational
inertia + that of the gears and wheel etc).

I don't really think that you've thought through your statement.
>The power required to _move_the_car_ at a steady 60kmh could be less
>than that to just turn the engine at idle with no nett output.

You should know better than this.
Assume static wind conditions.

If you don't move the car, no work must be done to move the air surrounding
the car.
Hence the only work done is that in moving the engine parts.

Once you start the car moving, you not only have to do work to displace the
air in front of the car, you also have to rotate the gears and apply a force
(over a distance) to actually move the car.  This is in addition to the work
that you have to do to move the engine parts.