[Diy_efi] timeframe to get equal fuel distribution

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 19 02:55:03 GMT 2003

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 02:43:57PM +1200, Bevan Weiss wrote:
> > Nit-Pick: idle is NOT no-load. Idle may require as much power as
> > cruising at 60kmh.
>
> This I don't follow...
> So what you're saying is the engine becomes easier to turn over as
> the load applied to the engine increases??

No. I'm not saying that. I'm saying that the power required to turn
the engine at "idle" is of the same order of magnitude as the power
required to move that car at 60 kmh.

[snip]

> I don't really think that you've thought through your statement.
> >The power required to _move_the_car_ at a steady 60kmh could be less
> >than that to just turn the engine at idle with no nett output.

I have thought it through. Calculate the power to move the car.

Compare that to the power required to turn the engine, including
pumping coolant, turning the alternator, aircon. compressor, etc.