[Diy_efi] Typical boosted ignition timings

Alexei Pavlov alexis.pavlov at st.com
Fri Mar 21 17:20:30 GMT 2003

marc at powerlogix.com wrote:

> The distributor was gutted and a simple sensor added for Sync Signal
> to the MoTeC. No advance/retard of any kind.  MoTeC also uses the
> 60-2 factory crank trigger wheel.  Never any issues with the MoTeC
> working properly.
>
> I did get some feedback from Todd at ProtoMotive. He did say they had
> to retard to 14 degrees @ 1 bar on 91 octane on an engine very
> similar to mine to be able to run on street gas.
>
> Experimentally, I was arriving at 12 degrees @ 1.25b and Lambda set
> to .85 on 93 octane to get detonation-free on my engine.  That seemed
> a little too retarded at first, but considering Todd's experience,
> maybe that's just the way it is.
>
> Have you worked much with engines similar to this one?

Personally not. I'm working with a guy who knows well Porsche engines.
I'm more specialized in EFI :-)
We've been looking for a possibility to supercharge a 3.3L atmo engine.
Something like twin-turbo big boost. The idea was to use a Motec
ECU (the guy knows them well), put RS2 cams, flat pistons to decrease
CR and possibly some exhaust work to make EGR improve mid-range
behaviour.
That could be simpler on Variocam engines.
The project was aborted but I'm sure we'll do it, may be next year.

Currently we are modifying atmo flat6 engines, we rebuild the
intake and exhaust and would like to find a good configuration
that we could install as a power kit (+ our own additional ECU).

Alexei