[Diy_efi] 402 TO 454 VORTEC CONVERSION

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Wed Mar 26 15:28:34 GMT 2003

Larry L Carlson wrote:

> MY NAME IS LARRY CARLSON.  I AM A NEW SUBSCRIBER.  THIS IS MY FIRST TRY
> AT A CONVERSION LIKE THIS.  SOME I TALK TO SAY THAT I'M CRAZY AND SOME
> SAY I'M GOING TO BE CRAZY.  NOTHING VENTURED, NOTHING GAINED.
>          I HAVE A 402 BIG BLOCK IN MY 72 3/4 TON PICKUP.  I AM TRYING TO
> GET EVERYTHING TOGETHER RIGHT NOW TO MAKE THE CONVERSION USING A 454
> VORTEC CRATE ENGINE.  THE MOTOR IS A 2000 THAT WAS DESTINED FOR THE RV
> BUSINESS.  I HAVE ROUNDED UP A COMPLETE HARNESS AND ECM #16263494.  IT
> WAS OUT OF A 1999 SUBURBAN, AND I JUST GOT A 4L80E TRANNY OUT OF A 2001.

I searched for that ECM part number on google but didn't come up with
much.  The 99 suburban was the old SBC 5.7L based vortec, not the new
style 4.8/5.3/6.0 engines.  I thought the 99 sub kept the same vortec
ECM from '98, which was 16250279.  You need to use a big block computer,
so that you can have it flashed to the correct calibration.  Once you're
sure that you have the right computer, then you do need to get the
service manual for that combination so you can put the wiring together.

It would probably be easier to use a pre-OBD2 big block computer in your
swap.  You won't have problems with the extra OBD2 diagnostics, the scan
tools are cheaper and more available, no passlock, etc.

>         #2 CAN I GET A K&N FILTER SYSTEM THAT WILL MAKE IT EASY FOR THE
> CONVERSION?  I DID NOT GET AN AIRBOX AND I DON'T KNOW (NO BOOK YET) IF
> THERE IS ANYTHING ON THE STOCK SYSTEM THAT I NEED TO HAVE.

You'll need the MAF, do you have it?

>         #3 NO NEED FOR SMOG CERTIFICATE FOR '72'S IN CALIFORNIA, BUT DO I
> NEED TO RUN A CAT/CONV. FOR SYSTEM TO BE COMPLETE?  OR WHAT DO I NEED?

The OBD-2 computer will expect pre and post cat O2 sensors, in order to
determine if the cat is working or not.  You'll either need the cats and
all 4 sensors, or I've heard of "O2 foolers" that can be used in place
of the rear sensors.

I'm doing a similar project so I'll be paying attention.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com