[Diy_efi] WB 36 LED Display dimmer

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Thu Apr 1 23:44:34 GMT 2004

1 Apr 2004  "Daniel R. Nicoson" <A6intruder at adelphia.net> writes:

> Is there a simple modification that would allow me to add a dimmer
> to the LED's?  That display is great but sometimes could use a
> dimmer.  I haven't had a chance to pull the data sheets on the chips
> involved.

> Dan Nicoson

I KNEW someone would ask that, sooner or later.  The brightness
is controlled by resistors R2, R4, R5, and R8.  Note 2 & 4 are 3/4s
the value of 5 & 8, due to different voltage across them.  Say,
doubling values would half their current, which would also half
all LED currents.  I would try 1st putting in values like 8 times
these and see if thats the right dimming.  Once adjusted,
connect  a resistor like the original to pin 6-7 of each LM3914.
Tie the other end of each resistor to the anode of a 1N4004.  Tie
the 4 '004 cathodes together.  When the 4 cathodes are grounded
by a switch, the second resistors will increase the brightness.

You could also get a linear control using a 4 output current
generator, or a pulse width modulated LED supply.  A lot more
complicated.

Bruce Roe