[Diy_efi] injector advance

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 7 21:42:07 GMT 2004

--- Bevan Weiss <kaizen__ at hotmail.com> wrote:

> The OE's are well aware that injecting straight into
> the cylinder is the preferred way of doing it.

How can that be, since almost no gas-powered vehicles
produced today utilize GDI?  If manufacturers knew it
was "best", then why are so few vehicles using it?

It has advantages and disadvantages, just like
anything else.  The injectors, for instance, tend to
be very expensive.  I suggest you check out the
extremely complicated Bosch system for a clear
understanding of why such a system is not in universal
use.

> There are of course issues with it using standard
> injectors,

GDI can never use anything like port-injection
injectors.  Injection pressure is much higher,
temperature tolerance and resistance to corrosion,
heat, and carbonization are required, etc...

> It's simply a matter of cost.

I could not disagree more.  GDI and port injection are
apples and oranges, they are different in nearly every
possible way (even the simple GDI systems).

> The only reason some have converted to P&H injectors
> and sequential injection was to meet emissions...

So you're claiming that gas mileage and off-idle and
cold-strating drivability play no part in an OE's
decision-making process?  Bunk.