[Diy_efi] Hydrogen Powered Vehicle

Kalmbach, Kevin D KalmbKD at NORTHAMERICA.Stortek.com
Wed Jul 21 16:27:48 GMT 2004

This is great stuff, so many threads in one mail. Global conspiracies,
anarcy, xenophobia and actual science.

Here's my $.02.  In a past life I have been a nuclear engineer, so the
materials and chemistry of both H2 and reactor stuff aren't a stretch.  I am
a strong proponent of major nuke development as a means of meeting Kyoto
requirements, raising national security and protecting the ANWR from the
"greenies" so I can hunt there.

Aside from all the portability and distribution issues, Hydrogen combustion
(meaning combination with Oxygen) is a zero sum game.  Hydrogen is
manufactured, usually by hydrolysis. Petroleum is "mined".  Hydrocarbons
come to us ready to be combined with Oxygen. So petroleum combustion "gives"
us power.

Chemically it takes just as much energy to separate Hydrogen from water as
is released when it recombines with oxygen. This cycle is more analogous to
a battery than a fuel. What is nifty about the stuff is it's use as an
energy TRANSPORT mechanism.  Rechargeable fuel cells should be lighter per
Kw than batteries and more environmentally friendly than lead/acid or
zinc/air.

Liquid Hydrogen exists conveniently below the temperatures required for
superconductivity.  Somewhere out there I have seen a "future" type of
"battery" design that was basically a superconducting fuel cell running H2
rather than methane or alcohol.
Superconductivity will also be key to making direct electric drive more
efficient than thermal expansion in a PE to KE conversion device (car)

In my opinion, which I am entitled to, at some point Hydrogen is likely to
become the principal "working fluid" in vehicles.  This is due to high power
density and a variety of useful state changes and reactions. Not because it
is a good fuel.  Consuming it would be bad because it's hard to distribute.

Sorry this is so long. Flame away.