[Diy_efi] TBI, heat riser, crossover passage

Michael J Flaherty mikeflaherty at mn.rr.com
Wed Mar 3 22:01:09 GMT 2004

On 3/3/04 2:33 PM, "Adam Wade" <espresso_doppio at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Michael J Flaherty <mikeflaherty at mn.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been wondering about the importance of
>> maintaining an exhaust heated intake with TBI and
>> a cast iron manifold.
>
> Since fuel is being introduced in the same location,
> I'd be hard pressed to believe that you could easily
> do away with a necessary addition with carbs like a
> heat riser.  The intake passages will still have the
> same sharp corners and long passages, and the fuel
> will still have the same tendency to fall out of
> suspension in the airstream at the same spots.  It
> might be slightly better with the possibly finer
> atomization from the injector, but I'd bet you cash
> that the difference between TBI and carb in
> drivability without the heat riser would be pretty minimal.

A cast iron intake seems to warm up something like 5 times as fast with
functioning heat riser as it does from radiant heat from the block.

I wonder how much faster this block heat would warm an aluminum intake,
particularly if it has a crossover passage *and* it is left open, but
without the heat riser flap restriction on the passenger side.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks again