[Diy_efi] Adapting Ion Sensing systems

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 21:28:37 GMT 2004

--- "Daniel R. Nicoson" <A6intruder at adelphia.net>
wrote:

> Does anyone have real knowledge of this system.  Is
> there anyway to "hack" into this system and let it
> control another existing system?

No.  It relies on knowing the plug resistance and coil
to which it is attached.

> Even if it only monitored one cylinder on my V-8 it
> would be better at defining the proper spark advance
> than my current technology (none)

Well, there HAS to be SOME spark control on your
vehicle, or obviously, it would not run.

Harley's Delphi system allows the maximum spark
advance without detonation, and is fairly primitive as
ion sensing systems go.  It's primarily for emissions
control.  I'd say a good ignition with a 3D (really a
2D, but 3D is the "convention" for describing it at
this point) alpha-n map should be fine for your
purposes, provided you don't need to meet spog specs
at any point.