[Diy_efi] Fuel delivery top mounts

Bobby Yates Emory liberty1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 06:32:59 GMT 2004

Chris,

There was a discussion of this about two months ago.  Basically -
forget trying to make a fuel rail.  You have to ream or broach to get
a round enough hole - a drill does not produce a perfectly round hole.
 Plus there is the alignment problem you were discussing.  I think
they said MSD sells bungs that are accurate enough to seal up.  I
would be very careful - barbs could let go the hose and you would be
spraying gasoline on a hot engine.

Good luck

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:25:01 -0400, Chris Carson <fastcarson at prodigy.net> wrote:
> Hi y'all,
> I have a set of 8 standard GM fuel injectors that I'm trying to build a fuel
> rail for. I've already botched one length of fuel rail extrusion and I want
> to try a different route. MSD sells these "fuel delivery top mounts" for
> flex-line installations. I have a few questions:
> 1. Is there a place that sells these things with two holes instead of one,
> so as to avoid having to use a junction block?
> 2. Does 1/8" NPT convert to some AN size? Or am I stuck with NPT?
> 3. Is it an option to just remove the o-ring from the tops of the injectors
> and clamp a hose on to the end, which then would be clamped to a hose barb
> that's attached to a bunch of Ts?
> 4. Is there a source for cheaper, small lengths of fuel hose with fittings
> on the end?
>
> I'm concerned that my injectors may not be perfectly lined up as I was not
> capable of perfectly lining up things when I was using the old drill press
> on the intake. So, I'm worried that if I try solid fuel rail again, the
> o-rings will not seat in the bores straight and that they will leak. Is this
> a valid concern?
>
> Chris

Toward freedom,

Bobby Yates Emory