[Diy_efi] Exhaust gas temp

Michael Richards michael
Fri Apr 1 15:27:59 UTC 2005

I've seen many engines run lean (especially those people with the
RRFPR's) and I don't think I've ever seen a turbine wheel failure from
the heat. If the motor does not detonate apart it ends up with burned
valves.

As a general rule with the probe before the turbo I tell customers to
let off if it gets above 1450. Some valves will tolerate more than this
type of heat, in particular, the STi, 323GT-R and VW GTI as they are
all sodium filled. My figure is also conservative. My personal GT-R has
run to 1500 without any ill effects. 8,000 km of full boost race type
driving and it's still 3% or better on a cold leakdown.

-Michael