[Diy_efi] false myths

Michael Richards michael
Fri Apr 1 16:46:45 UTC 2005

> BTW, these are the same guys, a person on this list, whom I lost most
> of my respect for a couple of years ago, and I've nicknamed 'bear',
> not to long ago labeled this group 'parrots'.  LOL.  They have, with
> today's technology, actually monitored the combustion chamber of a
> live, operating production engine, collecting and logging data in the
> process. How many 'parrots' do you know, have done this?  Millions?

Only one person I know of outside OEM test labs... I will see if I can
get you some datalogs of a lean misfire. This is on a one cylinder test
engine but it's being developed as a test bed for some detonation
detection work we're doing. You will see the cylinder pressure go up
from the initial ignition and then stop short of a normal pressure
curve accompanied by a jump in HC emissions. This is absolutely nothing
new.

Sometimes you also see the EGTs going up during enleanment because of
the slower and less consistant flame front. This is not an increase in
total heat as someone else pointed out there is less fuel available
than in an ideal mixture.

-Michael