[Diy_efi] Exhaust gas temp

sc7500 sc7500
Sat Apr 9 01:52:54 UTC 2005

I posted this with the hope/intent on getting a comment primarily...

>> <>- Normally aspirated engine @ 8.5:1 CR - 1050 - 1250? F *
>> - Normally aspirated engine @ 11.5:1 CR - 1150 - 1550? F *

In lite of posting the exhaust temps noted above, do you then disagree
with the statement noted below, from the link included?

>> <>http://www.sdsefi.com/techegt.htm
>>
>> This from within the paragraph....
>> "Raising the compression ratio with no other changes will drop the
>> EGT at the same AFR."
>>
>> BTW, for others interested, the above link agrees with some findings
>> that were noted earlier, from the elaborate scientific GAMI testing.

Interesting.  We used the old dyno at Huffaker's [Sears Point] and
didn't see the operator do much more than compensate for ambient air
conditions.
Since GAMI has it all over me as far as high tech capability, I'll have
to demur on this point - and say only that we got what we got.

BTW, you haven't seen NUTHIN' until you try to compare flame front
propagation before and after piston dome coating !!!

>>....special thanks to Smokey Yunik for telling me about this back in 1979.
>>

>A few authors of article thot those holes were for the purpose of
>viewing the exhaust flame color.   :D

I remember hearing about that little "disinformation effort" too.  In
case members of our esteemed group haven't been blessed with owning a
copy of Smoky's autobiography [Best Damn Garage In Town, Carbon Press],
he reveals a ton of engine development secrets that I was sworn to
uphold upon pain of death for many years. His widder {Margie} don't hold
a grudge, I guess...

Good research, Gary - keeps me on my toes !
--
B.T. Corneto
[The Mad Coater]

"United We Stand - Remember 9-11"