[Diy_efi] Air fuel meters

James Seabolt turbofiat
Wed Apr 13 00:26:26 UTC 2005

At 07:36 PM 4/12/05, you wrote:
>Hi James,
>
>How much have you driven the car since the engine was flooded?  I had a
>similar problem on my 1992 Honda Accord.  After flooding the engine while
>trying to start under very cold conditions (turned out to be bad
>distributor cap, rotor and wires), the check engine light lit up and was
>giving me an O2 sensor code.  It must have become coated with gas or
>something and it's response had become lazy.  After driving it for a few
>days, the deposits burned off and things came back to normal.  I'd give it
>a chance before assuming the sensor is fried.
>
>I'm usually a lurker on the list as I don't have anywhere near the
>technical knowledge of others here but I hope my experience can be helpful
>to you.

It's been around 50 to 75 miles or so since the last time the engine
flooded out.

Another thing to mention. In the beginning I was experimenting with a
Zenith carburetor from a Harley Davidson and at one point the fuel mixture
was so rich I fouled the spark plugs. I'm now using a Weber DFTA.

So I'm thinking between using the HD carburetor and the episodes the Weber
carburetor flooded out, I think the O2 sensor is either coked up with soot
or from gasoline hitting a hot O2 sensor fried it.

The soot theory doesn't make sense for the reason I figured it would have
burned off by now and if it was coked up, looks like the sensor would be
sending no voltage to the meter instead of maximum. Well I haven't tested
the sensor's voltage with a multimeter. I'm just assuming it's creating .9
volts.

James Seabolt
Tennessee, United States
Homepage --->>> http://users.chartertn.net/jseabolt/

2003 Subaru Baja
1980 FIAT 2000 "turbo" Spider
1968 Ford Fairlane 500 (Not a Ford Galaxie!!)
1987 Yugo GV 1500cc also turbocharged