[Diy_efi] Air fuel meters

James Seabolt turbofiat
Wed Apr 13 03:22:55 UTC 2005

At 08:41 PM 4/12/05, you wrote:
>I also did not know this.  My car is a V6 and runs a Garret T25 turbo
>-- (Smaller than the T3!)  however, the a/r is .83!

What's odd is the fact that the T25 I installed on my 1500 Fiat motor
that's in my Yugo came from a 2.3 liter Saab 9000. The 2.0 liter 900's uses
a larger T3. I'm not sure what trim sizes the Saabs use in either turbo.
I'm not sure why Saab chose to install a smaller turbo on a larger engine.
It doesn't really make sense unless they wanted the 9000 to spool up really
quick.

I do know that the T3 that is in Spider uses a .16 trim. I got this from a
friend who wanted a T3 with ceramic ball bearings. He had Turbonetics set
this turbo up for the smallest trim available.

This turbo spools up quick and around 2500 rpms. But the T25 on the Yugo
takes a bit longer to spool up. I believe it's because the trim is just too
large for the 1500 engine. I'd hate to think the lag a T3 would have from a
900.

Since I've been sourcing most of these parts from junked cars, beggars
can't be choosers when it comes to find the correct turbo. Since I can't
think of any cars sold in the US with 1500 motors I could source a turbo
from, I was told a T25 would be a good candidate since allot of cars in
Europe with 1500 motors use the T25. So I guess that's as good as it's
going to get.

Now concerning the O2 sensor. I pulled it and found it was coked over with
soot. I took a propane torch and heated it until it was cherry red and
flaked the soot off. I stuck it back in but low and behold it's doing the
exact same thing as before. So I don't know what's going on there.

I did not kick the turbo on. I just let it idle and drove the car around in
my driveway. The backup lights don't work and I got limo tint on the rear
windows so...

I'm wondering if I am just sending too much fuel into the engine under
boost which caused it to coke up to begin with. I drilled the secondary jet
out to prevent detonation and get me by until I could put the car on the
dyno to get some numbers. Hoping someone could analyze the graph and tell
me what sort of jets I need.

I tried to pull the "good" sensor from an old Fiat Spider exhaust manifold
but it's seized up pretty good. I tried heating it with a torch but it
didn't want to budge. I want to let it soak with PB Blaster for a few days
and see if I can remove it. Or just get a new O2 sensor.

James Seabolt
Tennessee, United States
Homepage --->>> http://users.chartertn.net/jseabolt/

2003 Subaru Baja
1980 FIAT 2000 "turbo" Spider
1968 Ford Fairlane 500 (Not a Ford Galaxie!!)
1987 Yugo GV 1500cc also turbocharged