[Diy_efi] Reset ECM after replacing airbag?

Wop OnTour wopontour
Thu Apr 14 03:45:31 UTC 2005

LOL
I wouldnt try this if I were you! Talk about a "smoke show"!! I think he
meant to say disconnect BOTH cables and touch them together- but that wont
work anyways.

Part of the event recorder memory features within the DERM require/demand a
UART command for DTC clearing- so scan tool only. AFAIK on the older DERM
systems you could still clear a DTC51 (crash event detected) after replacing
the discriminating and arming sensors of course. The worst case scenario
would be a DTC52 - DATA AREA FULL which means that DERM has experienced 8
seperate crash events (unlucky??) and the event data recorder memory (aka
black box) memory is FULL. In that event the DERM will need to be replaced.
This differs from the later SDM based systems that require replacement after
EVERY event, but it is for the same reason- FULL EVENT DATA FILE. Because
there is SO MUCH more data in the SDM event file (512bytes) it can only have
room for ONE event and must be replaced (although it quite likely is capable
of deploying the airbags this B0051 is "latched" and cannot be cleared.

Good Luck
WOT