[Diy_efi] Re: Burning Aluminium etc.

gary gas-
Mon Apr 18 23:32:35 UTC 2005

> Detonation is on the other hand an extremely violent and unforgiving
> condition. It is the result of spontaneous combustion of the air fuel
> mixture. There is no flame front to be seen as it occurs everywhere
> at the same time. The pressure rise traces are vertical and the first
> sound you hear  is usually the front timing seal being blown out or
> some other blow through related failure.

Actual 'real time' testing has shown otherwise.  With due respect to
you Phil, it would appear, this 'theory' is outdated.  Not only are
there different 'levels' of detonation, but the familiar description of
'instantaneous explosion' is no longer appears valid.

In regards to preignition and detonation, either can result in the other.

GAS