[Diy_efi] Strain gauge on engine mounts

hugh at sol.co.uk hugh
Tue Apr 19 08:28:07 UTC 2005

I would like to have a go at obtaining an output of my engines torque,
possibly using strain gauges on the two engine mounting points.

It should be possible to subtract the output from one to the other it
should equal the torque being produced by the engine.

Using one on each mounting point will, I hope, allow you to delete the
effects of bumps in the road.

The theory is that when you are accelerating on a smooth road one side will
be in tension and the other side in compression.

Going over a bump, each strain gauge will be compressed by the weight of
the engine, but the difference should I think still equal the engine torque.

There will obviously be calibration issues, but I am looking for a tuning
aid rather than a definitive torque number.

Measuring torque using the prop shaft would also be good, but making a
flange to hold the strain gauges and then transmitting the information
might be tricky, although I did find this
http://www.a-tech.ca/sup_page/ATI2000/Ati2K_Radio.htm system which clamps
to the prop shaft and looks a bit expensive for my budget.

Hugh

http://mail2web.com/ .