[Diy_efi] Air fuel meters

Gianmarco Rizzo BE/EAS gianmarco.rizzo
Tue Apr 19 10:11:39 UTC 2005

Yep, i second that.
a really quick take off on these turbo cars is really tricky, because it is really difficult to make the TC produce proper positive boost during take off conditions. sometimes "pumping" the clutch with the engine at almost max rpm does it.
usually, a good sign of a proper on-boost take off is the strong smell of burning clutch. i doubt the standard WRX clutch will survive more that 5 proper on-boos take offs.
another good sign could be the noise of cogs rolling on the tarmac...

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org]
Sent: Dienstag, 19. April 2005 07:09
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] Air fuel meters

James,

That is amazing - that the Baja outweighs the Fairlane.

(To put it in perspective - James's Fairlane is a full size car - while he is correct that it is not a Galaxy - it is just as big - body parts will swap but the trim will look funny.  And it has the low performance motor.)

Probably the reason the WRX didn't impress you is because you were getting it rolling and then "punching it".  On your Fairlane that works because it has a lot of torgue.  The WRX is down on torgue at low RPM - it is only half as many cubic inches.  To get a good ride out of the WRX,  floor the accelerator, watch the tach and let it rev up to the horsepower max rpm, and then feather the clutch while you keep the accelerator on the floor.  That should be fun or maybe expensive. :-)

Bobby

On 4/18/05, James Seabolt < turbofiat at hotpop.com <mailto:turbofiat at hotpop.com> > wrote:

At 11:19 AM 4/17/05, you wrote:
>At 227bhp there is no way you're going to smoke all 4 tires on
>pavement. My 323GTX is making 350bhp and most times it will stay hooked
>if I punch it in 2nd gear. With my STi swap of a few years ago I was
>making 320bhp and it had trouble lighting them up.

Well that was just a figure of speech. What I was getting at was, my 5
liter 68 Ford Fairlane only makes 190HP but felt like it has more
acceleration that the WRX. And it's probably a heavier car although my Baja
actually weighs 200 lbs more than my Fairlane.

James Seabolt
Tennessee, United States
Homepage --->>> http://users.chartertn.net/jseabolt/ <http://users.chartertn.net/jseabolt/>

2003 Subaru Baja
1980 FIAT 2000 "turbo" Spider
1968 Ford Fairlane 500 (Not a Ford Galaxie!!)
1987 Yugo GV 1500cc also turbocharged

Toward freedom,

Bobby Yates Emory