[Diy_efi] Strain gauge on engine mounts

Bill Washington bill.washington
Wed Apr 20 01:05:11 UTC 2005

Gents,
    Here is a relatively low tech thought for measuring engine torque.

    We know that the engine rotates against the mounts with torque,
therefore there should be a relationship between rotational movement of
the block and torque - yes, nonlinear and different for each vehicle and
will also vary with aging of the mounts and changing mounts  - would
therefore require a calibration method - however if we measured the
angular movement (could be done with optical or a variety of other
sensor types ) then manually rotated the engine against the mounts
(engine stopped, out of gear) while measuring the applied force by
distance (torque) and logging the related sensor reading that should
provide a reasonably close calibration - probably as close as any of the
other methods mentioned.

    A similar method could be used for measuring the torque at the
wheels - linear displacement of the wheels relative to the body will be
related to force (to the road) by distance (rolling radius of the wheels).

    What think you? Flame away!

Bill