[Diy_efi] RE: [offlist] Strain gauge on engine mounts

Marc Reviel marc
Wed Apr 20 21:31:53 UTC 2005

At 5:02 PM -0400 4/20/05, Daniel R. Nicoson wrote:
>I would stay away from optical on the driveshaft.  A very dirty environment.
>Your original thoughts of sensing the gear teeth phase may be more accurate
>than you think.  You just need to get the right person involved with the
>right experience.
>
>Dan Nicoson

I was really thinking it would be temporarily active.  Protect (or
remove) when not needed.  But you're probably right.

Beyond dealing with run-out and jitter issues regarding the shaft, I
keep coming back to the challenge to RIGIDLY mounting the sensors
relative to each other. Any vibration relative to each other in the
measurement axis will compromise the accuracy big time.  The best way
to solve that is going with that replacement 1" shaft with more
'twist,' increase the SNR.

Still thinking about various optical ways that might eliminate some
of these factors... need more thinking-fluid (Fat Tire Ale).

--
Marc Reviel

PowerLogix
http://www.powerlogix.com