[Diy_efi] Post 4-Wire O2 Sensor Swap Observations...

Tomas J. Sokorai Sch. tsokorai
Thu Apr 21 15:33:13 UTC 2005

On Thursday 21 April 2005 09:45, Daniel R. Nicoson wrote:
> I'm not sure about your specific 02 sensor but I thought the "heated" type
> sensors actually controlled the heater to achieve a specific temp at the
> sensing element, a closed loop heater control circuit.  It sounds like your
> installation simply provides battery power without any control?

As Jim said, normal narrow-band O2 sensors don't have external control over
the heater. It's the material the heater element is made of, that
self-regulates the temperature.
As the temperature raises, the element's resistance increases, so less current
flows, so it stops the heating, and vice-versa when it cools off.
But the wideband O2 sensor is other completely different animal. it's heater
is closed-loop controlled.

--
Tomas J. Sokorai Sch.