[Diy_efi] Testing an inductance coil.

Djfreggens at aol.com Djfreggens
Wed Aug 17 22:53:33 UTC 2005

In a message dated 8/17/2005 5:41:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
WSCowell at aol.com writes:

Good grief... there is no suggestion the coil has shorts, and I DID  advise
use of an oscilloscope, by far the best test.  It would tell  whether the coil
is doing its job as a CT.  Unless you have design info  you won't know the
design inductance etc.

NB we are of course not talking about injectors here, nor ignition  coils.
My advice was very sharply focused on the subject matter  presented...  It
never hurts to address the question asked.   :-)

Will C

I was not following the thread its just time to end it. the  best way to test
a coil is with current ramping via a low amps probe and use an  oscilloscope
to graph the used current wave form. this only comes from years of  diagnosing
bad inductive coils on engine control systems for 15 yrs. best of  luck
trying to use a voltage wave form.