[Diy_efi] Testing an inductance coil.

Joe Boucher boucherj
Thu Aug 18 01:55:47 UTC 2005

This answer is what I was afraid of.  Needing test equipment I ain't got.
I'll do the continuity test, see if I see anything with the voltmeter, and
go from there.

Thanks guys.

Joe
  -----Original Message-----
  From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org]On
Behalf Of Djfreggens at aol.com
  Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 5:54 PM
  To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
  Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] Testing an inductance coil.

  In a message dated 8/17/2005 5:41:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
WSCowell at aol.com writes:
    Good grief... there is no suggestion the coil has shorts, and I DID
advise use of an oscilloscope, by far the best test.  It would tell whether
the coil is doing its job as a CT.  Unless you have design info you won't
know the design inductance etc.

    NB we are of course not talking about injectors here, nor ignition
coils.  My advice was very sharply focused on the subject matter
presented...  It never hurts to address the question asked.  :-)

    Will C

     I was not following the thread its just time to end it. the best way to
test a coil is with current ramping via a low amps probe and use an
oscilloscope to graph the used current wave form. this only comes from years
of diagnosing bad inductive coils on engine control systems for 15 yrs. best
of luck trying to use a voltage wave form.